Elderberry is known as Sambucus and some of its species like S.nigra and S.canadensis are well-known.
Occurrence Of Elderberry: Also known as elder flower, elderberry bears cream-colored flowers and then dark purple berries during the autumn. These trees are believed to be native to Europe, though they have adapted well in the Americas, and are also grown in England In the UK, elderberry is used for its medicinal properties and for making pies and wine.
Uses Of Elderberry Plant: The flowers and the berries of elderberry are extensively used in making medicines for curing various health problems. An essential oil is extracted from the flowers Buttery in consistence, elderberry extract or oil has alkenes, fatty acids and palmitic The leaves and seeds of elderberries have cyanidin glycosides Most of the parts of the elderberry tree, such as the leaves, bark, flowers and berries are used in herbal medicines.
Elderberry has been used for its medicinal properties for ages
- The flowers have been used in Europe for many years to cure fever and colds It is also used as an expectorant to cure asthma and bronchitis
- People prefer to use elderberry in herbal mixtures and as elderberry syrup to treat bronchitis, sinusitis and influenza
- It also cures infections, diabetes, rheumatism, inflammatory diseases and neuralgia
- Elderberry can act as a laxative, as a medicine to cure skin disorders, can aid in weight loss and as a diuretic
- Traditionally, elderberry has been used to treat and bring relief to congestion, water retention, inflammation, and to relieve pain
- The leaves of elderberry are often used with creams and in sitz baths to cure eczema, boils, arthritis and other inflammatory problems
- The bark of the elderberry tree has been known to be used to cure constipation and water retention It is also used to induce vomiting
- The flowers as well as the berries of the elderberry tree are used for making medicines The berries contain flavonoids, which are known to protect the body from free radicals, boost the immunity, and add flavor to food. Initial studies have shown that elderberry can be used to treat herpes, viruses and maybe even HIV
- This herb is often used to cure and prevent upper respiratory infections. Research shows that elderberry can decrease mucus secretion and can even reduce the swelling in the mucus membranes and can decrease nasal congestion
- It is effective against flu